Thursday, November 6, 2008

Later..........

Sometime ago......
Wow!! Nice goggles, whats the price??
Rs. 3500
Oh!! if i buy it now what will i do next month. How would I pay my rent?? How would I pay my phone bill?Lets forget it for now and buy it later.
Some years later....
Wow!! Nice bike!! oh 90000?? That would put my budget in deep trouble. I can buy it when I get my arrears. lets forget it for now and buy it later.
Somewhere else....
Nice dress!!! Oh whats the use?? I am getting married in 10 days. I cannot wear it after that. No point buying. Lets see if my husband is fine with it I will buy it later.
Year after year we keep having strong desires and we suppress them efficiently. All we do is satisfy ourselves by saying "lets buy it later" and eventually the "later" never comes.
I watched the movie Dasvidaniya today. It is about a guy who comes to know that he is going to die in 3 months and he sets out to fulfill all his wishes. Nice movie and I was deeply moved. I did identify with one thing that is killing our desires.
Life is so complicated. With so many things to do and so many people around us, we are always busy doing something or appeasing someone. Hardly anyone of us ever think what exactly do we want. Some fortunate souls do realise the things they want. But very few among them actually get their wishes fulfilled. Others usually put down their desires in big dustbin. People do come up with various but similar, reasons for not doing what they wish:
Its too costly......
Mom wont like it......
There is always time later in life....
What will people think.....
My girlfriend would get suspicious if i talk to you.....
etc etc.
We do fear lots of things and it is this fear that does not allow us to pursue our dreams. I have a friend. He was a great cricketer. A superb batsmen who could destroy any bowling attack in mumbai. His only weakness was that he was weak in studies. One day he got a call from an English county team to play for them. He asked his dad. Without considering for a minute his dad refused him. The reason given : If you don't succeed in it what will you do for a living. Stay here and study. I don't say his dad was wrong. He had full right to protect his child in case anything goes wrong. But what if, he had taken the risk. What if my friend would have become a great cricketer? Eventually my friend turned down the offer. He completed his 12th and is working somewhere but still loves to go and teach cricket to the young children.
What we don't realize is Life is unpredictable. You can get a supercomputer to plan out your life and still it wont be able to accurately predict the next second of your life. So if you have the capacity to fulfill your wishes, go ahead and do it. Worry about the consequences later. Actually you don't even need to worry about them. Nature has its own way of putting things in the right place in the end. The world follows such people because they are different. Such people are happy because by fulfilling their wishes they get rid of the frustrations of life. One word of caution though, what i intend to convey is fulfill your wishes and not do what you like. Doing what you like can turn u into a arrogant being. Fulfill those wishes that you have suppressed for some stupid reason. Don't wait till the end and say "I am dying and I haven't done anything I wanted to do".

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Describing myself is the most confusing task ever. I have many forms. I have been the biggest prankster at school and also the most serious thinker at college. I was the carefree,I-dont-give-a-damn attitude guy and also the most caring and loving person. I have been the rock solid emotionless freak and also the crying baby in my mother's arms. Life has metamorphosed me into various forms and would continue to do it. All that is original about me is my heart which would never change. Sorry I cannot describe it as it is far too complex. All you need to know about me is I am Suheil Karkera